Microsoft Outlook is available for both Windows as well as Mac operating systems. Some of the users use Outlook in our Windows operating systems and some of them use in Mac operating systems. Though the platforms are different, but both these email clients have a same purpose, i.e. emailing. Other than this, there is one more difference between them, which could be a major one. “Windows Outlook” creates an Outlook data file for storing all the mailbox data which include email messages (sent, received and drafts), contacts, calendars, tasks, notes, journals, appointments, attachments and many more. The outlook data file which is created by “Windows Outlook”, is known as PST or personal storage table. While “Outlook for Mac” stores all your mailbox data (email messages, contacts, journals, calendar data, and other user application data) into an Outlook database file called OLM. PST file can’t be accessed or opened in “Outlook for Mac” and “Windows Outlook” doesn’t support OLM file format.
Just Think About a Scenario
You use “Outlook for Mac” in your office. One day your employer asks you to switch your current email client, i.e. “Outlook for Mac” to “Windows Outlook”. You can switch from one email client to another with ease, but can’t migrate the files easily. If you are switching from “Outlook for Mac” to “Windows Outlook”, you need to migrate the OLM files to the email client you are switching to. Without migration, you can’t access the OLM files in “Windows Outlook”. Migration of files can’t be done directly. Or if done, it may harm the files. I have tried a manual trick more than a couple of times for importing the OLM files to “Windows Outlook”. I can share the trick here in my article. I have divided the whole manual trick into three parts to make it easy and simple to understand.
Setup an IMAP mail account and configure it with “Outlook for Mac”
To set up an IMAP mail account, follow the steps given below:
- First of all, create an IMAP mail account (e.g. Gmail). Login to your email account.
- Now click the Gear button (top at the right side), and click Settings to go the settings page.
- In the Settings page, click Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab (shown at the top).
- Here you can check your IMAP status. If it is disabled, you need to enable it.
- Then click Save Changes button.
Now follow the steps given below to configure your IMAP mail account with Outlook for Mac:
- Launch “Outlook for Mac” on your system first. Now go to Tools > Accounts.
- You’ll be taken to accounts page. Click Email.
- Now provide the account information here, i.e. Email Address, Password, etc. Click Add Account button.
- The IMAP mail account will be added successfully, and now it can be seen on the Mail tab.
Create a Gmail label to synchronize the IMAP mail account and “Outlook for Mac”
To create a Gmail label, you need to follow the steps given below:
- First of all, login to your Gmail account.
- Click the Gear button (top at the right side), and click Settings to go the settings page.
- In the Settings page, click Labels tab (shown at the top).
- Click Create New Label button. Before that, make sure the label should be shown and the Show in IMAP box is checked.
- Now go to your Outlook for Mac and click Send/Receive button to update the IMAP mailbox folder.
Transferring of mailbox data from Outlook for Mac to the IMAP mailbox and then to “Windows Outlook”
The process is divided into two parts: move all the emails and other data from “Outlook for Mac” to the IMAP mailbox folder, and then move again the data from IMAP mailbox folder to “Windows Outlook”. You can move the data from IMAP mailbox folder to “Windows Outlook” with ease, but it might be little tricky to move data from Outlook for Mac to IMAP mailbox folder. Follow the steps given below:
- Launch “Outlook for Mac” on your system.
- Now right-click the mailbox item which you want to move. Click Move > Copy to Folder.
- Type the name of your IMAP mailbox folder and click Copy.
- Once you have copied the mailbox item(s) to IMAP mailbox folder, click Send/Receive button to update your IMAP mailbox folder of “Outlook for Mac”. You may also refresh the folder in Gmail to update it.
After that, you can move all your data from IMAP mailbox folder to “Windows Outlook”.
Important note: Before using this manual trick, don’t forget to take backup of your original OLM files. And make sure you perform this trick with the duplicate copies of OLM files.