Instead of loading a webpage, Chrome may show error 118. It is generally resolved by refreshing the page. However, it may occur again and again for other websites that you visit.
1. Search and Remove Obsolete Network Settings from the Registry
2. Check Antivirus Settings
3. Check Network Settings
4. Clear Temporary Internet Files and Web History
5. Check Proxy Settings
Search and Remove Obsolete Network Settings from the Registry
Filling up the registry with obsolete and outdated information, especially network related settings, may cause Chrome error 118. You have to scan and fix the problems found in your registry.
Check Antivirus Settings
You need to check the settings of your installed antivirus software. You need to check the firewall settings and allow the Google Chrome executable path which can be similar to the following path:
Check Network Settings
The error 118 may occur due to incorrect network settings. Do below steps to verify your network settings and change them if needed.
1. Click Start | Control Panel.
2. Click Network and Internet | Network and Sharing Centre.
3. Click the connection you are using. For example, Local Area Connection 1, Local Area Connection 2, etc.
4. Click Properties.
5. Select the option Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/ IPv4).
6. Click Properties button.
7. Make sure that the existing IP Address is valid. Contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) for more details.
8. Click OK | OK | Close.
Clear Temporary Internet Files and Web History
Corrupted web history and corrupted temporary internet files may cause this problem That’s why delete them as follows:
1. Open Google Chrome.
2. Press Ctrl + Shift + Delete.
3. Mark all the checkboxes as checked.
4. Click the button Clear Browsing Data.
Check Proxy Settings
Incorrect Proxy Settings may also cause the problem. Checkout the Proxy Settings and modify them if required.
1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. Click Tools | Internet Options.
3. Click Connections tab.
4. Click LAN Settings button under Local Area Network (LAN Settings) frame.
5. Mark the checkbox Automatically detect settings as checked.
6. Uncheck the box named Use a proxy server for your LAN from the Proxy Server frame.
7. Click OK | OK and close Internet Explorer.